How I got started…through our Mother, she would hand churn ice cream and bake chocolate chip cookies to bring on a hand sleigh for two miles to a small school house in Salmon Valley for their Valentines party. Our mother taught us how to give the community spirit with having so very little in giving so very much.
Today, I am a full time volunteer…PG BC Hydro Power Pioneers-Hospital Baby Toques & Books – Central Interior Science Fair, judge – School District #57 Heritage Week, judge – PG BC Hydro Power Pioneers – Youth Award chairperson, – PG Heritage Commission, past president, director – PG Sports Hall of Fame, founding member Awards and Banquet Committee, – Hwy 97 Adopt-a-Flower Basket- 19th Year, founding member, Fund Raiser and Treasurer, – Salmon River Heritage Society, founding member and secretary, – PG Regional Correctional Centre – Citizen Advisory Board Committee member, – Studio Fair – 36th Annual Canadian Crafts Fair Committee, – PG Fibre Arts Guild, founding member and past president, – Spirit of the North Health Care Foundation – 20th Year – Festival of Trees “Tree Fluffer” chairperson, – Eagle Mothers of the Year – Bursary Award Committee, chairperson – Tourism PG, Planting petunias on 1st Avenue, – Exploration Place, director, – Prince George Public Library – Reading Garden Committee, – Prince George Community Foundation and being a Mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
My best volunteer moments…
- 1948- Rural School Track Meet – Top Female Award
- 1969-Kelly Road Home & School – Mother of the Year
- 1973-Eagle Mother of the Year
- 1982-BC Festival of Fine Arts In Clothing Award
- 1992-Governor General’s Confederation Medal
- 1994-Inducted into BC Babe Ruth Baseball Hall of Fame
- 2003-Queen’s Jubilee Commemorative Medal
- 2004-Prince George Community Foundation Citizen of the Year
- 2006-Pacific Northwest Regional Babe Ruth Baseball Roll of Honor
- 2007-Communities in Bloom National Winner- City of Prince George
- 2008-Life Member of the Fraser Fort George Museum
- 2012-Queen Elizabeth 11 Diamond Jubliee Medal
- 2012-Lifetime Membership of PGX-BCNE
- 2012-Community Arts Council & PG Library Face Painted Calendar
- 2013-13th Freeman of the City of Prince George (1914-2013)
The impact volunteering has made on my life… I am so proud to have blessed with a wonderful supporting family…a community I was born into, loves and truly believes in that volunteering is my life for the past 70 years and counting.